Stuck in a chicken recipe rut? This Creamy Mushroom Chicken is a delightfully simple recipe that requires little time to make. If you love mushrooms, you'll die for this creamy pan sauce.
How do you make Creamy Mushroom Chicken?
Start by searing some seasoned chicken breasts (or chicken thighs) in some butter. Remove them from the pan, then add some slice mushrooms and chopped onion or shallots. I opted to leave out chopped garlic just because I was out, but you would add it to the pan alongside the mushrooms and onion if you want.
Next, add one tablespoon of flour and stir until it's all been absorbed. Pour in a a glug of white wine, stir and let it reduce for a few minutes. Add some Dijon mustard, heavy cream, chicken broth and Italian seasonings to the pan. Stir everything together and let simmer until the sauce thickens a bit. Sprinkle some fresh parsley on top for color.
No problem! You can add more chicken broth and heavy cream to loosen up the sauce and to cut back on the saltiness.
I always use my meat thermometer to make sure my chicken is cooked to a safe temperature, which is 165 degrees. Here's a good option on Amazon.
This recipe would be delicious over rice, polenta, pasta or even mashed potatoes. For a low carb, option try it with my Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Rice.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
This creamy mushroom chicken is a delightfully simple recipe that requires little time to make. If you love mushrooms, you'll die for this creamy pan sauce.
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot or small onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup white wine, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Sprinkle salt over chicken, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat, and sear both sides over the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Depending on how thick you chicken breasts are, this step could take anywhere from 10-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, then toss in the mushrooms and onion for 3-4 minutes until the onion becomes soft.
- Stir 1 tablespoon of flour in with the mushrooms and onions until it is completely absorbed.
- Pour and mix in the white wine over the mushrooms and let simmer for 2-3 minutes until the wine has reduced.
- Mix the Dijon mustard, heavy cream, chicken broth and Italian seasoning thoroughly with the mushrooms until the sauce is combined.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the cooked chicken back to the pan along with any juices and gently toss everything together.
The flour serves as the thickener of the sauce so if you plan on leaving it out it will still be delicious, just a little runny.
If your sauce gets too thick simply add more broth and heavy cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: One Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: easy chicken recipe, chicken and mushrooms, mushroom recipe, dinner recipe, 30 minute meal
If you love this recipe or change it up I would love to know! Please rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram @hungrywaitress!
Looking for more dinner ideas? Check out these recipes:
Leave a Reply