Looking for ways to use up zucchini this summer? This Vegetarian Zucchini Boats with Sun Dried Tomatoes is a great 30 minute summer recipe. Topped with a drizzle of basil pesto, these boats are light, savory, and make great leftovers!
How do you make Vegetarian Zucchini Boats?
- Cut 3 large zucchini in half, scoop out the insides, and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
- While the zucchini bakes, bring a couple cups of broth to a boil, add a cup of farro and some salt to the broth, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Mix some sun dried tomatoes, black olives, toasted pine nuts, and Parmesan to the farro and spoon it into the cooked zucchini boats
- Top with a drizzle of basil pesto (try my Homemade Pesto in a Blender recipe!)
What are some additions and substitutions?
Feel free to modify this recipe to your taste! Here are some ideas:
- To make this recipe vegan, omit the Parmesan cheese and use vegan pesto
- Substitute the farro with rice or quinoa
- Top with feta cheese for some extra saltiness
- Add other vegetables such as spinach or cooked mushrooms
- Mix in some drained canned garbanzo beans for some “meatiness”
If you like this recipe you can rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here’s the recipe:Print