Need something nutritious, delicious and fast for dinner tonight? This Vegan White Bean and Kale Soup only takes around 30 minutes and is full of healthy vegetables, beans and quinoa for some protein. It’s one of my favorite detox soups for when I’m feeling a little vitamin deficient (or have had one too many desserts!).
Full disclosure, we are not vegan but we enjoy eating a few meatless and non-dairy meals during the week. Sometimes you just need a good reset.
This Vegan White Bean and Kale soup recipe is derived from an ancient soup from Tuscany called Ribollita which means “twice-boiled”. It was a peasant soup made from beans, vegetables and days old bread. Basically it’s comfort in a bowl.
I have added quinoa, which is not a traditional ingredient, to provide a little extra protein. This soup is very versatile so you can make it your own! You could swap out the kale for spinach, collards, turnip greens or cabbage. You could substitute the quinoa with pasta, farro or rice. It’s a great way to use up vegetables that are about to go bad.
Here’s how you make it:
- Heat some olive oil, onion, celery and carrots in a large pot over medium high heat for around 5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Add some chopped garlic and stir for another minute or so.
- Mix in some salt, pepper, Italian seasonings and tomato paste to the vegetables for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in some broth, quinoa and white beans and turn up the heat to bring everything to a boil.
- Reduce the heat down to medium, toss in the fresh kale and lemon juice, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes until the quinoa has cooked through.
- Enjoy with some crunchy bread!
If you love this recipe I would love to know! You can rate this recipe and leave a comment, or tag a photo on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here’s the recipe:Print
Looking for more vegan recipes? Here are more of my favorites: