I have a problem. I am trying to trim away about 10 pounds, and I find it impossible because I crave cheese and carbs all the time! There is something so comforting about a big bowl of cheesy pasta, quesadilla, or pizza. Salads do not give me the same satisfaction (however I do feel better in the long run!).
I have never had an issue with weight before because I have always been active, but the older I get the harder it is to stay trim (it's because I don't care as much about my out appearance like I did when I was younger).
But now that I have gained a few extra pounds (and have been eating garbage), I have notice my energy level has dropped. My clothes don't fit right (and they are uncomfortable), and frankly I just don't feel good. So I am going to lose this weight for me.
The solution: Make "skinny" versions of my favorites so I don't feel deprived and binge eat. This Skinny Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a DELICIOUS healthy version of the classic Broccoli Cheese Casserole (even Nolan approved it). What makes it skinny? I substitute broth for cream, and cauliflower rice for regular rice. It's a surprisingly easy recipe to make, and it solves my cheesy comfort food cravings!Print
Skinny Broccoli Cheese Casserole
This Skinny Broccoli Cheese Casserole is a great healthy recipe for when you are craving comfort food!
- 8 cups raw broccoli florets
- 1 bag (12 oz) frozen cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken, and room temperature works best)
- 1/4 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
Optional Crispy Topping:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Steam the fresh broccoli my microwaving it in a large bowl for 3 minutes. (If you like your broccoli more well done try 5 minutes, but it does continue to cook in the oven later on in the recipe.)
- Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the frozen cauliflower rice to the skillet and saute until thawed (about 5-7 minutes).
- Once the cauliflower rice has thawed, sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour, 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper into the skillet and stir until the flour has absorbed all of the oil (it should look lumpy).
- Stirring continuously, pour in the 2 cups of broth and 1/4 cup of milk. Keep stirring until the mixture reach a simmer and thickens to resemble a gravy (7-8 minutes).
- Turn the heat off, and add 2 cups of cheddar cheese and 1 cup of Parmesan. Stir until the cheese has melted, then add the steamed broccoli florets.
- Mix everything together and pour into an oven safe casserole dish.
- Optional: Mix together 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs, and 1 Tablespoon Parsley. Sprinkle on top of the cheesy broccoli mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes and enjoy!
Creative Additions: Feel free to add shredded chicken to make for the meat eaters in your life! Another idea is to play around with the types of cheese you use. I think Swiss cheese would be delicious! Also, don't be afraid to add more vegetables! Zucchini and squash would be amazing in this recipe. Or add some cooked diced or shredded potatoes!?Yum!
Need more healthy dinner ideas? Check out these options:
Great recipe! Love the options. Good for using up scraps of cheese in the frig.
I am rating this recipe a 5 star bc it is so yummy! I will definitely make this again and again however, I will use garlic powder instead of garlic salt and a little less table salt. If you are a salt lover- leave it as is! But if you're like me and tend to not eat a lot of salt or if you need to stay away from it for health reason- you'll definitely want to cut out some of it. Otherwise, this is an amazing dish! Love it!!