Vegan Loaded Vegetable Beans and Rice are a stand by when you are on tight budget. Not only are they cheap and convenient, they are hearty and comforting. I included zucchini, squash, peppers, and canned tomatoes and diced chili's. This easy beans and rice recipe is a staple in our house.
How to make Vegan Loaded Vegetable Beans and Rice:
- Mix together the rice, broth, salt, and 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a medium pot.
- Turn the heat to high until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Once it's boiling reduce the heat to low and cover with a tight lid.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Pour 1 Tablespoon of olive oil into another skillet set to medium high heat.
- When the pan is hot add the bell peppers, zucchini, squash, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and cook for around 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the can of tomatoes and beans and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the bean mixture on top of the rice with as many garnishes as you like!
What goes with rice and beans?
I like to serve my rice and beans with loads of vegetables for a complete meal. For this recipe I mixed in zucchini, squash and peppers, but you could leave them on the side. I also like to serve it with avocado, cilantro, and lime with a big chunk of cornbread.
Swap out or add other ingredients to make it your own!
- You can swap out any kind of beans for the black beans
- Add some roasted sweet potatoes or butternut squash
- Serve over roasted spaghetti squash instead of rice
- Top with vegan sour cream and cheese
- Wrap everything up in a tortilla for tacos or burritos!
If you love this recipe, I would love to know! You can rate this recipe and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram?@hungrywaitress! Here?s the recipe:Print