This homemade cheese calzone would make a perfect appetizer for a crowd. We like to slice them into strips and serve them with a side of marinara. I used mozzarella, cheddar, ricotta, and feta cheese and the combination is amazing! If you haven't tried feta cheese on pizza (or in calzones) you are truly missing out!
How do you make a cheese calzone from scratch?
It's simple! All you have to do is:
- Roll out some homemade pizza dough
- Place whatever toppings you like on half of the dough
- Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings
- Crimp the edges of the dough together
- Cut a little air pocket on the top of the dough
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown!
Do homemade calzones have ricotta cheese in them?
Traditional calzones have ricotta cheese and various other cheeses inside of them. If you're a purist, leave out the marinara and save it for pizza or stromboli.
Feel free to get creative with the fillings! Here are some of my favorite calzone filling combinations:
- Italian sausage and caramelized onions
- Saut?ed mushrooms and fresh spinach
- Pepperoni and black olives
- Sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts
If you like this recipe you can rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram?@hungrywaitress! Here?s the recipe:Print
Homemade Cheese Calzone
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 large calzones 1x
Homemade Cheese Calzone is a cheese lovers dream! It's super simple to through together.?
Pizza Dough (makes 4 large calzones)
- 1 1 /2 cups warm water
- 1 Tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Filling - distribute all ingredients equally among the four calzones
- 8-10 Tablespoons ricotta cheese?
- 1 cup cheddar cheese?
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese?
- 8 Tablespoons feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the pizza dough:
- Pour the warm water, yeast, and sugar into a large bowl (or a standing mixing bowl if you have one) and let the yeast activate for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of the flour, olive oil and salt and mix until it's combined. If the dough is too sticky to handle add a little bit of flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface or in a mixing bowl for 7 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into a clean bowl (or leave it in the mixing bowl), and let it rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
For the calzones:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide the pizza dough into four equal balls.
- Roll out each ball into an approximate 8" circle.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on half of each dough.
- Top the ricotta with the remaining cheeses and seasonings, then fold the dough over, and crimp the edges shut
- Cut a little hole in the top of each calzone to let the steam out.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Save yourself some time and use store bought pizza dough. I love Trader Joes and Publix's premade pizza dough.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: homemade cheese calzone recipe, easy homemade cheese calzone, homemade calzones with ricotta cheese
Leave a Reply