This homemade cheese calzone would make a perfect appetizer for a crowd. We like to slice them into strips and serve them with a side of marinara. I used mozzarella, cheddar, ricotta, and feta cheese and the combination is amazing! If you haven't tried feta cheese on pizza (or in calzones) you are truly missing out!
How do you make a cheese calzone from scratch?
It's simple! All you have to do is:
- Roll out some homemade pizza dough
- Place whatever toppings you like on half of the dough
- Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings
- Crimp the edges of the dough together
- Cut a little air pocket on the top of the dough
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown!
Do homemade calzones have ricotta cheese in them?
Traditional calzones have ricotta cheese and various other cheeses inside of them. If you're a purist, leave out the marinara and save it for pizza or stromboli.
Feel free to get creative with the fillings! Here are some of my favorite calzone filling combinations:
- Italian sausage and caramelized onions
- Saut?ed mushrooms and fresh spinach
- Pepperoni and black olives
- Sundried tomatoes and artichoke hearts
If you like this recipe you can rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram?@hungrywaitress! Here?s the recipe:Print