Homemade Cheese Calzone is a cheese lovers dream! It's super simple to through together.?
Pizza Dough (makes 4 large calzones)
- 1 1 /2 cups warm water
- 1 Tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Filling - distribute all ingredients equally among the four calzones
- 8-10 Tablespoons ricotta cheese?
- 1 cup cheddar cheese?
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese?
- 8 Tablespoons feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 teaspoon pepper
For the pizza dough:
- Pour the warm water, yeast, and sugar into a large bowl (or a standing mixing bowl if you have one) and let the yeast activate for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of the flour, olive oil and salt and mix until it's combined. If the dough is too sticky to handle add a little bit of flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface or in a mixing bowl for 7 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into a clean bowl (or leave it in the mixing bowl), and let it rise for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
For the calzones:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Divide the pizza dough into four equal balls.
- Roll out each ball into an approximate 8" circle.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on half of each dough.
- Top the ricotta with the remaining cheeses and seasonings, then fold the dough over, and crimp the edges shut
- Cut a little hole in the top of each calzone to let the steam out.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
Save yourself some time and use store bought pizza dough. I love Trader Joes and Publix's premade pizza dough.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: homemade cheese calzone recipe, easy homemade cheese calzone, homemade calzones with ricotta cheese