This vegetarian pizza is a delicious way to eat your veggies!
- 1 package (15 oz) of pizza dough, store bought or homemade*
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil to grease your pan
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil for the sauce
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 15 - 16 oz bag of frozen spinach, thawed and drained thoroughly
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups Italian blend shredded cheese
- Prepare your pizza dough if you plan on making it from scratch. Here is my go to homemade pizza dough recipe but cut it in half for just one of these stuffed pizzas. If you are buying premade dough, you only need one package.
- Heat the oven to 475 degrees.
- Stretch out half your dough in the bottom of a greased 9" cake pan.
- Mix together the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, basil, oregano and Parmesan for the sauce.
- Mix together the spinach and Italian blend shredded cheese and pile on top of the bottom crust.
- Top the spinach stuffing with the other half of pizza dough and trim off any extra dough. (You don't want big clumps of dough because it will make the pizza too bready.)
- Fold and pinch the bottom and top layers of dough to seal tightly and cut some holes into the top crust to let air escape while the pizza bakes.
- Add the tomato sauce to the top crust and spread it all the way to the sides so the crust doesn't burn.
- Bake the pizza in a 475 degree oven on the bottom rack for 10 minutes then move to the top rack for an additional 20-25 minutes.
*Cut the Homemade Pizza Dough recipe in half to make one of these stuffed pizzas
It's important to finish the pizza on the top rack so the bottom doesn't burn and the top crust cooks all the way through.
The cooked tomatoes do stick to the pan and caramelize, so you'll have to use a knife around the edges to get the pizza out. Using a spring form pan is easier if you have one!
It's really important to drain as much water as you can out of the spinach so the pizza isn't soggy.
Also, don't skimp on the quality of your canned tomatoes! They make all the difference.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: stuffed pizza, pizza recipe, deep dish pizza, homemade pizza, dinner recipe