Bolognese sauce is a favorite in our house. I thought I would try to make meatless version, and this recipe is one of my new favorites.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped fine
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 1 cup carrots, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped fine
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1/4 cup lentils
- 1 lb pasta, cooked
- Heat up the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat.
- Toss in the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, salt, pepper, Italian season, and red pepper flake, and cook down for around 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and walnuts and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and cook another 2-3 minutes until it's reduced by half.
- Add the vegetable stock and lentils, and give everything a good stir.
- Simmer the sauce for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve over hot pasta!
Keywords: vegan lentil walnut bolognese, vegan bolognese sauce lentils, vegan bolognese with walnuts, vegan bolognese recipe