Sweet potatoes and black beans are my new favorite combination. I tried this combo out when we were eating vegetarian for a few months. It was a good run but we eventually started adding meat back into our diets. We still eat meatless meals quite often though, and I love the challenge of creating delicious vegetarian recipes.
For these Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos, I season the sweet potatoes with chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. This creates a sweet, salty, savory flavor that is super tasty. The black beans add a meaty texture, while the sweet potatoes are silky and buttery.
This is a great vegan breakfast option, even though I like mine with sour cream … (again we are not vegan, but enjoy eating plant based meals.)
I call this recipe a breakfast burrito, but really you can enjoy it anytime of day.
Can you freeze them? Yes! I have a batch in my freezer right now. To reheat them I recommend using the oven. Bake them for around 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees or until the center has thawed. You could microwave them if you are in a hurry, but the tortilla gets a little tough. I do this if I’m in a hurry and need to take it with me and it still tasted good!
I made vegan sweet potato black bean breakfast burritos for my mom because she can’t eat eggs, dairy, or oats (allergies…). It’s really hard for her to find items she can eat for breakfast. She fell in love with them immediately.
These Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos are:
- Sweet and Savory
- Easy to travel with
- A great meal prep option
If you love this recipe I would love to know! You can rate this recipe and leave a comment, and tag a photo on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here’s the recipe:Print
Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
These vegan sweet potato and black bean burritos are a great option for breakfast. The beans bring a meaty texture while the sweet potatoes are silky and buttery.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 6 tortillas, soft taco size
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl mix together the sweet potato cubes, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne. Spread out the sweet potato mixture in an even layer onto a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, throw the black beans onto the hot baking sheet and mix them together.
- Assemble the burrito by pouring 1/2 cup sweet potato and black bean filling into the middle of a tortilla. Evenly pour 1 Tablespoon of salsa on top of the sweet potato mixture, and roll the tortilla into a burrito.
- Once all of the burritos are assemble, heat a large skillet up over medium high heat. When the pan is hot place each burrito into the skillet seam down. Brown for around 2 minutes then flip the burritos over and brown for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with salsa and cilantro.
This is one of my favorite vegan recipes! Here are some more vegan ideas!
Check out this Vegan Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowl:
Or this delicious Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Zucchini and Mushroom Pasta:
I love this Hearty Vegan Chili recipe!