This Refried Bean Quesadilla recipe is perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. I love using corn tortillas, which is not traditional for a quesadilla recipe, but I find they are less dense than flour and add a yummy corn flavor. Feel free to substitute flour tortillas.
Bean and Cheese Quesadillas
- 4 tablespoons butter or oil or enough to cover the bottom of your pan
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon coarse Kosher salt
- Zest of one lime
- Melt butter (or heat up oil) in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Prepare each quesadilla by spreading a thin layer of refried beans on each tortilla topped with some shredded cheese.
- Carefully lay the tortilla in the hot pan flat and let it heat up a little before folding into a quesadilla. This prevents the corn tortilla from breaking.
- Cook each side of the quesadilla for 2-3 minutes until gold brown and crispy.
- Remove to a wire rack or a paper towel to prevent them from getting soggy.
- If you are making a big batch, you can keep the already made quesadillas in a warm 250 degree oven while you finish the rest of them.
- To freshen up any leftovers that have been refrigerated I like to refry them in a pan with a little butter. I don't recommend microwaving them.
- These quesadillas are not ideal for making ahead of time, they are best served fresh.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Keywords: refried bean quesadillas, refried bean and cheese quesadillas, meatless monday, easy dinner recipe, vegetarian quesadilla,