This recipe came from my Grandma, and it is perfection (just like her).
- 2 1/2 onion
- 10 small-medium size cloves of garlic
- 3 lbs ground beef, chuck
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 12oz beer
- 4 (14 1/2 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cans chili beans
- Start by heating up a large pot on the stove at medium high heat.
- Add the ground beef to the pot first, and break apart to brown evenly. Add the onions and garlic and cook down for about 2-3 minutes. Drain out the excess fat from the pan. (I use a spoon).
- Once the fat is drained add the chili powder, oregano, pepper, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir around until the spices cover the meat which takes 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in 1 beer and scrape all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. Cook down for about 5 minutes.
- Dump the 4 cans of tomatoes and 4 can of chili beans into the pot, and bring the while mixture to a boil.
- Then turn the heat to low, and cover with a lid for at least 30 minutes. It is better if you can cook it for 1 hour to 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Throw on your favorite garnish!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Category: Dinner