Looking for a fun Halloween cookie idea? These ghostly cookies are a sweet treat. The buttery shortbread cookie with a chocolate center is so addicting.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling the dough out
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, optional
- Beat the butter and sugar together with a mixer.
- Add the salt, vanilla and flour until a dough forms.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/4" disc on a well floured piece of parchment, cut out your cookie shapes and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Chill the cookies for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, bake the cookies for 10-13 minutes and let cool for about 5 minutes to harden.
- If you want to make sandwich cookies, heat up the chocolate chips in the microwave for 15 second increments, stirring in between, until the chips have melted.
- Spoon the melted chocolate on half of the cookies carefully to create the center filling and place another cookie on top to make a sandwich.
This dough is very soft, so be sure to flour your rolling pin well. Also rolling the dough out on a piece a parchment paper helps it not stick to the surface.
These cookies will spread slightly, so when they come out of the oven you can modify the shape a little.
The yield is the number of sandwiched cookies.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween cookies, cookie recipe, dessert recipe, shortbread cookie