Pasta with peas is a great emergency meal using pantry ingredients.
- 1 lb short cut pasta, orecchiette or small shells are my favorite
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, or one small onion
- 2 cups frozen peas, or one 12oz bag
- 1 cup reserved pasta water, don't forget to scoop some out before draining your pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
Additional optional ingredients
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 handful fresh basil
- 1 lemon juiced
- Boil your favorite short pasta in a big pot of generously salted water. Carefully scoop up a cup of the pasta water before straining the pasta.
- Melt your butter and olive olive in a large pan (at least 12") over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic (if you are using pancetta or bacon you would add it to the pan as well) and cook until soft, careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the frozen peas to the pan and cook until thawed and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Toss the freshly cooked pasta and parmesan to the pan and mix in the reserved one cup of pasta water.
- Finish with lemon juice, some fresh basil and additional Parmesan, salt and pepper if desired.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: One Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta with peas, pasta and peas, spring dinner recipe, easy dinner recipe