Looking for a healthy Mexican vegetable side dish? This colorful vegetable medley only takes 15 minutes to make and is a perfect companion to tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas and more! You can also enjoy them as is or as a vegetable fajita.
Reasons to love these Mexican vegetables
- It uses simple ingredients and is highly customizable for whatever vegetables you have on hand.
- It only takes 15 minutes to make.
- It's a great healthy side to serve with any Mexican cuisine.
Mexican Vegetables - This recipe uses an assortment of peppers, onions, zucchini and yellow squash. You could add other vegetables too such as corn.
Seasonings - Chili powder, paprika, cumin and garlic powder are what gives these vegetables the classic Mexican flavors.
Cotija Cheese - Cotija is one of my favorite cheeses to have on hand. It's a crumbly, salty cheese made of cow's milk and named after the Mexican town where it's named. It's delicious on tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and vegetables. You may know it best from the classic Mexican Street Corn. Lately I've been putting it on everything!
Lime - Lime juice adds some brightness to the vegetables and takes all of the flavors to the next level of deliciousness.
Start by heating up some olive oil in a skillet over medium. Toss in your choice of Mexican vegetables with some seasonings such as salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, cumin, and garlic powder. Cook for 10 minutes tossing occasionally until the vegetables have softened. Top with Cotija cheese and a squeeze of lime juice.
What are some other Mexican vegetable ingredients or substitutions?
This is really just a base recipe, so you could add or subtract anything you want to these Mexican inspired vegetables make it yours! Here are some ideas:
- Add some fresh summer corn, fresh garlic, asparagus, or any other vegetables.
- Leave off the cheese to make it vegan.
- Add some cooked shrimp or chicken to make it a meal.
- Wrap the veggies in a tortilla for a vegetarian fajita or use as the stuffing for a vegetable quesadilla.
If you like this recipe you can rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here's the recipe:Print
Looking for more recipes? Check these out!