These homemade vegetable egg rolls can be fried or baked for an easy snack!
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 (16oz) bags coleslaw mix, shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar, sub distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 lb egg roll wrappers
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 cup vegetable oil, for frying so make sure there's about at least 1-2 inches of oil in the pan
- Heat up 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the coleslaw mix, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic powder, ginger powder, and green onion to the hot skillet and saute for 5-8 minutes until the cabbage has softened stirring occasionally. (Don't over cook the cabbage because it will have a mushy texture after you fry it.)
- Lay out the egg roll wrappers in batches and place 1/3 cup of the cabbage filling in the center.
- Brush the edges with water, then roll them up like a burrito making sure all of the edges are sealed.
- Set the egg rolls aside (don't stack them because they will stick together!).
- Heat the vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet or heavy dutch oven over medium high heat until the oil reaches roughly 350 degrees. (I use a candy thermometer attached to the side of the skillet like this one.)
- Carefully place 4-6 egg rolls at a time in the hot oil adjusting the heat of the oil so it stays at roughly 350 degrees.
- Fry for 5-8 minutes flipping the egg rolls so they are crispy all over.
- Place the crispy egg rolls on a wire rack to cool so they stay crispy.
I like to use the back burners for frying so children can't accidentally touch the hot oil and skillet.
If you want to bake these egg rolls, preheat your oven to 450 degrees and bake for 15-20 minutes flipping the egg rolls half way through the cooking time.
Reheat any leftover egg rolls in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees.?
***The nutrition label does not include the oil for deep frying. It's almost impossible to calculate how much oil the eggrolls will absorb. It's based on the temperature you are cooking them. If the heat is too low they will absorb more oil, too high and they will burn. I highly recommend using a cooking thermometer. If you are calorie conscious, you can bake the eggrolls to control the amount of oil used.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Keywords: vegan egg rolls, vegetarian egg rolls, homemade baked vegetable egg rolls, homemade vegetable egg rolls recipe, how to make vegetable egg rolls from scratch