Looking for the perfect fluffy homemade biscuit? These Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits are easy to make and delicious. The secret is in the flour! Down here in the south we have a very fine White Lily's flour and it makes all the difference in the texture of your biscuits.
How do you make fluffy homemade buttermilk biscuits from scratch?
To make the biscuits, mix together all your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a bowl. Cube a stick of very cold butter and crumble it into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender or your hands.
The goal is to mush the butter until it's about the size of peas or until the flour mixture looks like gravel. It doesn't have to be perfect. You want to work quickly so the butter doesn't get too warm.
The next ingredient that makes a huge difference is whole fat buttermilk. You can you low fat buttermilk our whole milk, but they won't taste as rich! Pour the buttermilk into the bowl and stir everything until a dough starts to form.
Dump the dough onto a floured surface and gently fold it in half "kneading" it a few times until it comes together.
If your hands look like this, the dough is too wet so you'll need to sprinkle on some more flour.
Pat the dough into a 1/2 inch disc, and start cutting out your biscuits! Place them on a lined baking sheet so the edges touch. This will help them rise together.
Bake your biscuits in a 450 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Easy!
Check out my favorite black pepper Gravy without Sausage recipe to serve on top of your biscuits!
If you love this recipe I would love to know! You can rate this recipe and leave a comment, and tag a photo on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here?s the recipe:Print
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 9-12 1x
Looking for the perfect fluffy homemade biscuit? These Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits are easy to make and delicious.?
- 2 cups White Lily's Self-Rising flour | sub all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter | keep as cold as possible
- 3/4 - 1 cup whole fat buttermilk | sub low fat buttermilk or whole milk
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt for the biscuits.
- Cut the stick of cold butter into cubes. Using a pastry blender or your hands cut or mush the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles gravel.
- Pour in 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir until a dough starts to form. Add an additional 1/4 cup of buttermilk if the mixture is too dry.
- Dump the dough onto a heavily floured surface and knead it slightly until it holds together. (Feel free to sprinkle on more flour if it is too sticky).
- Flatten the dough into a 1/2 inch thick disc, cut out your biscuits and place them onto a lined baking sheet with the edges touching.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: biscuits, buttermilk biscuits
Leave a Reply