Want to try a new grilling recipe? These Grilled Pineapple Chicken Kabobs are delicious! Serve them over coconut rice and you've got yourself a meal. I'm not going to lie, this recipe is a bit time consuming, but it's well worth the effort.
Ever wonder where the U.S. version of kabobs came from? A few of the sources I have found say they originated in Turkey from soldiers cooking chunks of meat on sticks over open fire.
Interesting fact: Only North Americans use the spelling kebob, it's actually spelled kebab in the rest of the world. I was very curious why the spelling changed, but couldn't find any information.
These kabobs have a combination of chicken, pineapple, bell peppers, and onions. The contrast of sweet from the pineapple and savory from the chicken and vegetables is amazing. Marinating the chicken for a few hours adds another level of flavors to this summer recipe. Coconut rice is the perfect side dish to serve with these easy kabobs.
How do you make Grilled Pineapple Chicken Kabobs with Coconut Rice?
- Start by marinating your 1" cubed chicken with some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce for several hours
- Soak your wooden skewers in water while the chicken marinates so they don't catch on fire while your grilling
- Chop your vegetables and pineapple into large pieces
- Assemble your skewers by alternating chicken, pineapple, bell peppers, and onions
- Prepare the coconut rice before you start grilling by bringing two cans of full fat coconut milk, 1 cup water, and salt to a boil in a medium pot
- Stir in 2 cups of white rice, cover with a lid, turn the heat to low, and cook for 25-30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Prepare your hot grill (or use a grill pan on the stove top over medium high heat) by brushing some olive oil on the grates.
- Grill each kabob for 15-20 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Serve over the coconut rice with some green onion and lime!
If you like this recipe you can rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here?s the recipe:Print
Grilled Pineapple Chicken Kabobs with Coconut Rice
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 6 1x
Grilled Pineapple Chicken Kabobs with Coconut Rice is a great grilling recipe for the summer!
- 15 - 20 wooden skewers
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 whole pineapple, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 bell peppers, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/2 a large red onion, cut into 1" pieces
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (13.66 oz) cans coconut milk, full fat
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white rice
- chopped green onion
- lime juice
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least 1 hour
- Mix together the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for at least an hour (you could start marinating it the night before)
- Assemble the kabobs by alternating the chicken, vegetables, and pineapple
- Prepare your grill and brush the grates with some olive oil.
- While the grill is heating up, start cooking the coconut rice by bringing two cans of full fat coconut milk, 1 cup water, and 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil in a medium pot
- Stir 2 cups of white rice into the coconut milk, cover with a lid, turn the heat to low, and cook for 25-30 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed
- Grill each kabob for 15 - 20 minutes turning occasionally until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Serve with some lime and chopped green onion.
If you don't have a grill, feel free to use a stove top grill pan or bake them in the oven at 400 for 20 - 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: grilling recipe, grilled pineapple chicken kabobs, coconut rice, grilled hawaiian chicken skewers, grilled chicken pineapple skewers recipe
yummy! i just tasted it last night and i loved it, so searched the web for recipe and found this blog. thank you so much for sharing it in detail
Perfect, It would be great for my BBQ party this weekend! Thank you so much!