Craving something a little different for lunch but still want it to be healthy? Try out this Greek Buddha Bowl. I don't know about you, but I am getting tired of the same ole salad or sandwich for lunch. This grain bowl has exciting textures and yummy flavors mixed throughout. Also, a lot of the ingredients can be found already put together in the store, so it's a time saver!
What goes in a Greek Buddha Bowl?
For this bowl I used a rice blend, romaine lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, feta, pickled red onion, hummus, lemon vinaigrette, and dill. A lot of the ingredients were things I already had in the fridge, so you can add or subtract any of them. Some non negotiables for me would be you need some sort of grain and definitely the hummus. It makes everything so creamy and delious
A lot of the ingredients you can find premade at the store like the hummus, pickle red onions, your favorite vinaigrette and cooked rice or quinoa. I will include instruction on how to make these items out of pantry staples though if you have some extra time.
I like this grain bowl cold like a salad mostly because of the romaine lettuce. Now if you used kale or spinach I think it could work warm. It just depends on the other ingredients you choose to use.
You can definitely assemble the bowls ahead of time, but I wouldn't toss the dressing until you are ready to serve because the lettuce will get soggy.
If you love this recipe I would love to know! You can rate this recipe and leave a comment, and tag a photo on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here's the recipe:Print
Greek Buddha Bowl
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Add some brown rice and hummus to your next salad to mix it up and create this delicious grain bowl. This recipe makes four bowls.
- Lemon vinaigrette*
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped | sub any lettuce, kale or spinach
- 2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 carrots, chopped or shaved
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 cup brown rice or quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup pickled red onion*
- 2-3 tablespoons feta, chopped or crumbled
- 3-4 tablespoons hummus
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh dill, optional
- Sprinkle of black pepper, optional
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together the lemon vinaigrette ingredients until they are emulsified.
- Toss the vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, and cucumbers) with the vinaigrette and divide them across four bowls.
- Distribute the rice and quinoa, feta cheese, and pickled red onions across the four bowls.
- Add a generous dollop of hummus to the top of each bowl and garnish with some fresh dill and black pepper.
*To make pickled red onions, in a large jar or container mix together 1 red onion, sliced thin, 3/4 cup red wine vinegar, 1/4 cup water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 20 minutes and up to a week.
Wait to toss the dressing if you don't plan on eating right away
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Bowls
- Method: Meal Prep
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: greek grain bowl, Mediterranean grain bowl, lunch recipe, meal prep, healthy recipe, easy recipe
Looking for more lunch ideas? Check these out:
Leave a Reply