Need a cozy soup recipe to warm you up? I made this easy vegan vegetable and dumpling soup this week and it hit the spot.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 12oz bag frozen mixed vegetables*
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon vinegar (white distilled or white wine)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon shortening or vegan butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 Tablespoon green onion, chopped (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot.
- Toss in the frozen (or fresh) vegetables, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and tomato paste, and cook for 10 minutes.
- ?Pour in the broth and heat until the soup is bubbling, and simmer for about 15-20.
- While the soup is heating up, mix together all of the dumpling ingredients until a dough ball is formed.
- After simmering the soup for 15-20 minutes, turn the heat down to medium.
- Scoop and carefully plop 1 tablespoon of dumpling dough at a time into the hot soup. (They will sink at first, but rise to the top when they cook.)
- Let the dumplings cook for 10 minutes before serving.
*You can sub fresh vegetables of you have them on hand. Carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, green beans, cabbage, or any other fibrous vegetable would work. If you use zucchini or squash wait until the end to add them because they tend to get mushy fast.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45