In need of a summer side dish recipe? This Easy Summer Vegetable Skillet is the perfect side dish recipe to get in your dose of daily veggies. It’s the perfect accompaniment to tacos, fajitas, enchiladas, or anything grilled! It’s so versatile.
How do you make this Easy Summer Vegetable Skillet?
- Heat up some olive oil in a skillet over medium
- Toss in your choice of summer vegetables with some salt and pepper
- Cook for 10 minutes tossing occasionally
- Top with Cotija (or Parmesan) cheese and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice
What is Cotija cheese?
Cotija is one of my favorite cheeses to have on hand. It’s a crumbly, salty cheese made of cow’s milk and named after the Mexican town where it’s named. It’s delicious on tacos, enchiladas, fajitas, and vegetables. You may know it best from the classic Mexican Street Corn. Lately I’ve been putting it on everything!
What are some additional ingredients or substitutions?
This is really just a base recipe, so you could add or subtract anything you want to make it yours! Here are some ideas:
- Add some fresh summer corn, fresh garlic, asparagus, or any other vegetables
- Leave off the cheese to make it vegan
- Add some basil pesto or sun-dried tomato pesto
- Add some cooked shrimp or chicken
- Wrap the veggies in a tortilla for a vegetarian fajita
If you like this recipe you can rate it and leave a comment below. If you take a picture tag me on Instagram @hungrywaitress! Here’s the recipe:Print
Easy Summer Vegetable Skillet
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 squash, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of 1/2 a lime | sub lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese | sub Parmesan
- Heat up 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium.
- Toss in the onion, bell pepper, zucchini, squash, salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squeeze 1/2 a lime and 1/4 cup (or more!) of Cotija cheese on the vegetables before serving.