(This post contains affiliate links. Commissions from these links go towards providing more awesome content for you! Thank You!)
What are y’alls plan for Valentines Day? We like to stay at home, cook, and Netflix of course! We have made the mistake of trying to go out to a nice restaurant once … it took forever and was CRAZY expensive! Instead we make filet at home. A good filet mignon is surprisingly easy to make in a skillet. I highly recommend using a cast iron skillet. Why use cast iron?
- It can reach a high temperature fast
- It is naturally non stick
- If you need to finish your steak in the oven, it’s oven safe!
I love my Lodge cast iron skillet. It’s cheap, versatile, and indestructible. (Don’t have one? Check out these cast iron skillets!)
Anyway, here are the steps to making the PERFECT steak at home:
- An hour before cook time, take the steaks out of the fridge
- Pat them down with a paper towel until they are dry
- Rub 1/2 teaspoon of salt all over the steak
- Leave the steaks at room temperature for an hour before cooktime
- In a skillet (cast iron works perfectly) heat up 1/4 cup olive oil and 3 Tablespoons of butter
- Carefully pace the room temp steaks into the hot skillet
- For medium rare shoot for about 5-7 minutes of searing on each side!
- Remove the steaks from the skillet, and cover them with aluminum foil.
- Let them rest for at least 10 minutes before serving!
It’s like butta! Here is a printable version:Print
Need some side dish recipes? Check out my favorite:
And for dessert: