The easy cheesy broccoli cheese rice makes a perfect one pot side dish.
- 3 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped pretty small
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Splash of half and half, optional
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Bring broth, olive oil and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan that has a lid.
- Stir in the white rice and broccoli, bring back to a boil, cover with the lid, and turn heat down to low.
- Let simmer for 20 minutes until the rice is cooked through and the broccoli is tender, if there is a little broth left in the pan that's fine.
- Mix in the cheddar cheese until melted and add a splash of half in half for a creamier sauce.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
Be aware what kind of broth you are using. If it's low sodium, you may have to be more generous with the salt at the end of the recipe. The type of cheese you use will also effect the saltiness. That's why it's important to taste at the end in order to adjust the seasonings.
Brown rice cannot be substituted for this recipe because it takes almost twice as long to cook. I also think it would need more broth. I have not tested this recipe using brown rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: One Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: broccoli cheese rice, stovetop broccoli cheese rice, easy side recipe, easy recipe