Looking for a unique chicken soup recipe? Creamy Chicken Paprikash Soup with Gnocchi is rich with flavor and only takes 30 minutes to make.
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb chicken breast, roughly cut into 1" pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional but highly suggested
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 cups chicken broth, 2 cartons
- 1 package gnocchi
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Extra Sour Cream
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Toss in the chicken pieces and cook until browned slightly for around 7-10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken from the pot and set aside in a bowl. It's okay if it's not cook all the way through because we will add it back to the pot to finish cooking.
- Add the chopped onions to the hot pot and cook until soft. Throw in the flour, sweet paprika, salt, cayenne pepper and tomato paste and cook until the flour has absorbed which takes 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in 1 cup of broth stirring frequently to blend and smooth out the flour paste. Once the lumps have smoothed out add the additional 7 cups of broth and give it a good stir.
- Turn up the heat to bring everything to a boil and carefully plop the packaged gnocchi into the soup and the chicken and let simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let cool a little bit before stirring in the sour cream. (If the soup is too hot the sour cream will become grainy and separate.)
- Serve with your choice of garnishes and some crusty bread!
The cayenne pepper brings out more of the paprika flavor and adds a warming component to this yummy soup.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: One Pot
- Cuisine: Hungarian
Keywords: chicken paprikash, chicken recipe, soup recipe, 30 minute meal, easy recipe