Classic Southern Cornbread is a staple recipe in my kitchen! I this savory cornbread with my Simple Chili, Cuban Black Beans, and inside my Grandma’s Cornbread Dressing. There’s nothing like hot cornbread straight from the oven!
I mix it up sometimes and add cheddar cheese and jalapenos. This makes a great base recipe for all kinds of combinations! Add more sugar or honey for a sweeter version, or top it with bacon … just because. The options are endless!Print
Classic Southern Cornbread
Classic Southern Cornbread is a staple recipe every home cook needs!
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened to grease the pan
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8.5 oz) can creamed corn
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Rub the 1 Tablespoon of butter all over an 8×8 pan.
- In a large bowl mix the butter, milk, egg, cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and creamed corn together (batter will be lumpy).
- Pour the batter into the buttered pan.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden brown. Test if it’s done by sticking a knife in the middle. You should be good if it comes out clean!
Check out some of my other side dish recipes I love check out:
Or these Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
Or these Christmas Drop Biscuits (Pimento Cheese and Green Onion Biscuits)