Chicken Cordon Bleu is a classic meal perfect for any day of the week. It looks complicated, but it really not that bad. The combination of the nutty swiss cheese, salty, ham, and crunchy crust will leave you wanting seconds!
- 1 cup Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs*
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices deli ham, sliced thin
- 4 slices swiss cheese, cut small pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter, unsalted
Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumbs:
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Mix all of the Italian seasoned Panko breadcrumb ingredients together if you are not using the store bought version.
- Butterfly each chicken breast and pound them until they are a quarter inch thin.
- Place one slice of ham and swiss cheese on each chicken breast.
- Roll the chicken breasts up or fold them in half and secure with 2-3 toothpicks each. (Remember how many you use, so you can remove them all!)
- Toss each chicken breast in the breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs onto the chicken so they stick.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a 8-9 inch skillet over medium high until the butter is melted and bubbling.
- Carefully place each chicken breast in the hot oil. (It's okay if you need to do two batches, it just depends on how big your chicken is.)
- Cook each side for 4-5 minutes rotating the chicken so all of the surface area gets crispy for a total cooking time of 15-20 minutes (or until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees).
*You can find these breadcrumbs at your local Kroger in the baking aisle or make you own!