In search for an amazing homemade biscuits and gravy recipe? We've got you covered! We make this Biscuits and Gravy without Sausage recipe probably twice a month.
- 2 cups White Lily's Self-Rising flour | sub all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter | keep as cold as possible
- 3/4 - 1 cup whole fat buttermilk | sub low fat buttermilk or whole milk
Black Pepper Gravy
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder and salt for the biscuits.
- Cut the stick of cold butter into cubes. Using a pastry blender or your hands cut or mush the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles gravel.
- Pour in 3/4 cup of buttermilk and stir until a dough starts to form. Add an additional 1/4 cup of buttermilk if the mixture is too dry.
- Dump the dough onto a heavily floured surface and knead it slightly until it holds together. (Feel free to sprinkle on more flour if it is too sticky).
- Flatten the dough into a 1/2 inch thick disc, cut out your biscuits and place them onto a lined baking sheet with the edges touching.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
Black Pepper Gravy:
- Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a medium sized pan.
- Add the flour, black pepper, and salt and stir into the butter until the flour is totally absorbed.
- Stirring constantly to prevent lumpy gravy, pour in 1 cup of milk to the pan.
- Pour in the additional 3 cups of milk and bring everything to a simmer stirring constantly (takes about 5 minutes).
- Turn the heat to medium low and simmer the gravy (stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn) for about 15 minutes until it thickens and the desired consistency is achieved.?
If your gravy is too thick, simply add more milk.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: biscuits and gravy, vegetarian, breakfast recipe, vegetarian breakfast recipe