Bake Buffalo Catfish is a favorite family recipe around our house. It's an easy, healthy alternative to fried catfish. Using cornflakes makes the crust extra crispy, and the buffalo sauce makes it over the top delicious!
The first step to making this delicious recipe is trimming your catfish. This recipe does best when you cut the catfish into smaller pieces. You want to cut off the fatty pieces and the end of the tail because they get too mushy when you cook them.
Once you cut the filet into quarters, mix together some flour and seasonings into a bowl, pour some buttermilk into another bowl, and crush up some corn flake for the third bowl. Dip the catfish in the flour, then buttermilk, then cornflakes, and place on the greased baking sheet.
Then bake the catfish at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. You know they are done when the largest piece flakes apart when you stick a fork in it. Then pour your Buffalo sauce on top!
Yum! We like to eat our Baked Buffalo Catfish with Homemade Tartar Sauce and Zesty French Fries.Print
Baked Buffalo Catfish
- Total Time: 35 minutes
Baked Buffalo Catfish is an easy weeknight recipe.
- 1 lb catfish, trimmed and cut into quarters
- 2 Tablespoons four
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ? teaspoon onion powder
- ? teaspoon salt
- ? teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups Cornflakes, crushed into crumbs
- 1 cup Frank?s Hot Sauce
- ? cup butter
- 1 teaspoon red onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon green onion, chopped
- 1 small dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon pickle juice
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, and grease two baking sheets.
- Mix together the flour, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl.
- Pour the buttermilk in a second medium bowl, and the Cornflakes into a third medium bowl.
- Place each piece of catfish (one at a time) in the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, cover it in cornflakes, and place it on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake the catfish for 20-25 minutes, or until the largest piece is flaky.
While the catfish is baking:
- Melt and stir the butter into the hot sauce in a small pot over medium heat.
- Mix together all of the tartar sauce ingredients, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve the catfish with the buffalo sauce drizzled on top or on the side.
DO not substitute another type of fish. It will turn out too dry (catfish can handle the heat). Do not get the pre-crumbed Cornflakes by the bread crumbs in the store, my dad says they are not as good ...
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
Craving more seafood? Check out these recipes:
Leave a Reply