French fries are my weakness (and quesadillas, and chips). I cannot resist a good fries. This becomes a challenge when I am trying to slim down. But these Zesty Oven Fries are guilt free!
They are baked using olive oil. I like adding some paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper to my fries for a little kick! Start by cutting your potatoes into a fry shape…
I like using Idaho potatoes, because they are cheap, but red potatoes are delicious too. Use whatever potatoes you have around!
Now you will be tempted to skip this next step, but don’t. It is the key to crispiness. All you do is soak the potato wedges in some water for 15-30 minutes. This removes the excess starch from the potato and makes for a crispy outside when baked.
Perfect. After you have soaked the potatoes, pat them dry…
Then toss them in olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (optional).
Grease a baking sheet thoroughly with olive oil. Then spread the potatoes on the sheet in an even layer. Make sure you do not crowd the pan! If you do the potatoes will not crisp up.
Then bake the potatoes at 450 degree for 20 minutes on each side. Soooo easy! Now I know your thinking this takes way to long for fries! I can’t make them during the week!
But they really only take an hour. You can be prepping the rest of your meal while the potatoes soak. Then you toss them, throw them on a pan, and put them in the oven. While they bake you can finish cooking the rest of your meal!
Zesty Oven Fries
Zesty Oven Fries are a healthy side dish option. They are so easy, and taste way better than those bagged frozen fries!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side Dish
- 4 Idaho potatoes. cut into wedges
- 6 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cut the potatoes into long wedges. Fill a large bowl with 6 cups of water, and place the cut potatoes into the water. Soak the potatoes for about 25- 20 minutes. Drain the water, and pat the potatoes dry.
- Place the dried potatoes back into the large bowl. Pour in the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Toss everything throughly.
- Dump the potatoes an a greased baking sheet. Spread them out in an even layer. Be sure not to crowd the pan, because the potatoes will not crisp up. Bake for 20 minutes, then flip them and cook for another 20 minutes.