Vegetable Soup and Dumplings
Vegetable Soup with Dumplings is a great hearty vegetarian dinner recipe. You won’t even notice there is no meat! I love this warm bowl of soup.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 1 large dutch oven, or pot
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- Start by melting the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the onion, celery, to the hot oil/butter mixture.
- Cook the vegetables for around 2 minute stirring constantly. Add the garlic and chili powder. Stir for another 2 minutes.
- Dump in the tomato paste, and mix it into everything for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the beer, and cook for about 4 minutes (until the beer has mostly evaporated).
- Pour in the broth. Add the frozen vegetables, potatoes, and beans.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and cover it with a lid.
- Cook for around 20-30 minutes.
- Test the potatoes to make sure they are not crunchy. Taste the broth and add additional salt and pepper to taste. Then start on the dumplings.
- For the dumpling combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Mix the butter into the flour mixture using you fingers (just like you are making biscuits).
- Pour in the milk and stir until a dough forms.
- Drop Tablespoons of dough into the hot vegetable stew (Tip from a reader – Bring the soup to a simmer by turning down the heat before you add the dumplings. Thanks for the tip Penelope!).
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes. The dumplings should look light and fluffy.