She came up with this awesome vegan biscuit recipe! Ironically she eats these with homemade sausage…
She makes vegan buttermilk with soy milk and vinegar first…She claims soy milk is the best, but you can use almond or cashew milk. Also, she likes use apple cider vinegar.
Then she sifts together all of the dry ingredients. (I am super proud of this picture. Live action!)
Then cuts in the vegan butter and shortening. Oh I forgot! She keeps her butter and shortening in the freezer until she is ready for it! Here are the brands she likes:
Back to the cutting of the butter…
Then add the vegan buttermilk and combine.
She uses a folding technique to create the layers of flakiness
Cut out the biscuits. (Don’t twist the biscuit cutter! They won’t rise!)
Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450!
These vegan biscuits taste like the real thing!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place the butter and shortening in the freezer.
- Mix together soy milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Take the shortening and butter out of the freezer and cut it into cubes/smaller pieces. Then cut into the dry ingredients with your hands or a pastry cutter.
- Add half of the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredient bowl. Mix together. If the dough is to dry add a little more buttermilk until it forms a ball. (If the dough gets to wet, add more flour).
- Roll the dough out on a floured surface. Fold the dough in half, and roll out again. Repeat folding two more times.
- Cut out biscuits and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and enjoy!