Sweet potatoes and black beans are my new favorite combination. I tried this combo out when we were trying to eat vegetarian for a few months. I season the sweet potatoes with chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. This creates a sweet, salty, savory flavor that is super tasty. The beans add a meaty texture, while the sweet potatoes are silky and buttery. This is a great vegan breakfast option, even though I like mine with sour cream…
I think the hardest thing about being vegetarian or vegan is breakfast. This makes a great breakfast burrito. You can even freeze them to enjoy whenever you want. Just wrap each burrito in plastic wrap, place in a huge Ziploc bag, and freeze.
I made these for my mom because she can’t eat eggs, dairy, or oats (allergies…). It’s really hard for her to find items she can eat for breakfast. She fell in love with these immediately.
They are so pretty!
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Breakfast Burritos
These vegan sweet potato and black bean burritos are a great option for breakfast. The beans bring a meaty texture while the sweet potatoes are silky and buttery.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 1 sweet potato, cubed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, optional
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 6 tortillas, soft taco size
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl mix together the sweet potato cubes, olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne. Spread out the sweet potato mixture in an even layer onto a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, throw the black beans onto the hot baking sheet and mix them together.
- Assemble the burrito by pouring 1/2 cup sweet potato and black bean filling into the middle of a tortilla. Evenly pour 1 Tablespoon of salsa on top of the sweet potato mixture, and roll the tortilla into a burrito.
- Once all of the burritos are assemble, heat a large skillet up over medium high heat. When the pan is hot place each burrito into the skillet seam down. Brown for around 2 minutes then flip the burritos over and brown for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with salsa and cilantro.