Eating pizza on Halloween night is a tradition for a lot of people including my family. My dad always says, “There is nothing like burning your mouth on a hot slice of pizza, then eating a bunch of chocolate so the roof of your mouth is raw for days!” Haha…Last night (while watching Sleepy Hallow and Stranger Things) we wanted to make some pizza, but we decided to try it in a cast iron skillet instead of a pan. The results were soooo amazing that I had to share!
The skillet made the crust buttery and crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy on the inside. I think proofing it helped achieve this texture too. I topped this pizza with hot Italian sausage, caramelized onions, and half of it with mushrooms (because Nolan hates them…).
To caramelize the onions just slice up two whole onions. Toss them in a pan over medium heat. Add some sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Then cook for around 15 minutes.
You could make a big batch, and add them to recipes throughout the week. They would be good over chicken, or in a quiche! Now I am getting ideas…
Yum! Enjoy this pizza for me…I have to go put on my Halloween costume. It’s party time!
You can use any toppings you want, but this pizza is topped with caramelized onions and hot Italian sausage!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- Pizza dough, store bought
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup caramelized onions*
- 1/2 cup hot Italian sausage, browned
- 2 Tablespoons jarred marinara
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 4 oz ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium pans
- 1 cast iron skillet
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried Oregano
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease the cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place pizza dough on the skillet and let it sit for 15 minutes. While the dough is proofing, prepare the caramelized onions, and brown the sausage.
- In one pan, break up some hot Italian sausage over medium high heat for around 15 minutes or until browned. In the second pan cook the onion slices, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper over medium heat stirring occasionally for around 15 minutes.
- Once the sausage and onion are ready, punch the dough out and stretch to cover the bottom of the skillet. Poke the dough with a fork. Spread the marinara in an even layer on top of the dough. Sprinkle on half of the shredded mozzarella. Then space out the caramelized onion, sausage, and fresh mozzarella on top of the dough. Finish by topping with the remaining shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on the bottom rack (or a pizza stone if you have one!).