Talk about comfort food! This vegetarian Roasted Vegetable Lasagna rivals any of my favorite dishes. You can always add some chicken or ground beef if you want! The mixture of roasted eggplant, mushrooms, zucchini, and bell pepper add hearty flavors and textures to this classic pasta dish.
My mouth is watering looking at this picture… I use mozzarella cheese and (don’t judge) cottage cheese. I am not the biggest fan of ricotta cheese for some reason (and I am a cheese fanatic). I think its the texture… or maybe I have never had really good ricotta.
Either way cottage cheese is cheaper and easier to find, and it tastes really good! Call it your secret ingredient.
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Roasted Vegetable Lasagna is one of my favorite vegetarian recipes. The mushrooms and eggplant make up for the lack of meat, and add wonderful textures to this cheese comfort food. Make a big batch and freeze some for later!
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- 1 Eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 2 Zucchini, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled (leave them whole)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and drained (make sure to squeeze out as much water as possible!)
- 1 Jar marinara sauce
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella
- 6 Oven Ready lasagna noodles (The No Boil kind!)
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss all of the chopped vegetables (Eggplant, Zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, and garlic) in 2 Tablespoons of olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the vegetable mixture on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake the vegetables for 25 minutes.
- While the vegetables are baking, in a large bow mix together the cottage cheese and 1 CUP of mozzarella cheese.
- Once the vegetables are finished (do not turn the oven off!), start the lasagna building process:
- Smear 3/4 cup of marinara on the bottom of an 8×8 pan.
- Place two Oven Ready noodles down side by side.
- Top the noodles with about 2 cups of roasted vegetables or enough for an even layer.
- Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture on top of the roasted vegetables.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of spinach on top of the cottage cheese.
- Finish this layer by placing two more noodles in the opposite direction of the first two noodle you started with. (This will provide more structure to the lasagna when cutting).
- Repeat with the roasted vegetables two complete the second layer.
- Once you have finished the second layer by placing two more noodles down, finish the lasagna with another 3/4 cup of marinara and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
This recipe is for an 8×8 pan. For a 9×13 pan just double everything including the roasted vegetables.
Love Italian food as much as I do?! Check out more of my favorite Italian Dishes:
Easy Chicken Alfredo only takes 30 minutes to pull together!
Then there is my 30 Minute Mushroom Orzo Risotto…enough said.
I can’t leave out pizza! This Skillet Pizza is covered with sweet caramelized onions and spicy Italian sausage.
Messy cheesy heaven!