Skip to Recipe|Print Recipe
Mashed potatoes are the best side item, besides macaroni and cheese… I love potatoes in any form. Roasted garlic is the “secret” ingredient in these mashed potatoes. It makes all the difference in flavor! Learn how to roast garlic!
This recipe is my everyday lazy recipe for mashed potatoes. I use red potatoes, and I don’t even peal the skins. Who has time for that? The key to good mashed potatoes is placing the raw potatoes in the water before you turn on the heat. The potatoes cook more evenly.
These are also perfect because you can make them ahead of time. I just pile them into a casserole dish and sprinkle some paprika on top for some color. When you are ready to eat them, preheat the oven to 350 and bake for around 30 minutes. So easy! Throw some pads of butter on top to make these extra delicious 🙂Print
Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes
These roasted garlic smashed potatoes are perfect for a side dish!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Side
- 1 whole head of garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 6 medium red potatoes, halved (not peeled)
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of salt, seperated
- 1/2 stick of butter, melted
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
For the Roasted Garlic:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees..
- Cut off the bottom of a whole head of garlic
- Place the head of garlic on a baking sheet (I line mine with aluminum foil for easy clean up).
- Pour 1 Tablespoon of olive oil all over the garlic
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes then squeeze out the roasted cloves from their wrapper.
For the Potatoes
- Fill a large pot with water and 1 Tablespoon of salt.
- Place the cut potatoes in the room temperature salted water.
- Place the pot on the stove top and turn the heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Boil the potatoes for around 20 minute, or until they are fork tender.
- Turn off the heat and carefully drain the potatoes using a colander. Place the empty pot back on the burner you were using, and pour the potatoes back into that pot. The leftover heat from the stove will evaporate any excess water from the potatoes.
- Add the roasted garlic cloves, butter, cream cheese, milk, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to the pot. Smash together with a potato masher.
- To Bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place prepared mashed potatoes in a casserole dish.
- Sprinkle paprika and pads of butter all over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until warmed through.