Mimi’s Cornbread Dressing
This dressing ain’t no slimy, gummy mess. This dressing has a crispy top with precious pieces of toasted pecans and mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8
- Category: Dinner
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 celery stalks, tops included, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 cups cornbread (not sweet), prepared
- 1 (14oz) package of dried herbed seasoned breadcrumbs (we use Pepperidge Farm)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 3-4 cups of broth
- 1 large skillet
- 1 huge mixing bowl
- 1 9×13 casserole dish
- 1 sheet pan
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9×13 pan.
- Melt the stick of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the celery stalks, onion, and mushrooms to the pan and sauté for 8-10 minutes.
- While the vegetable are softening in butter, place the pecans on a baking sheet. Roast them in the oven for 4-5 minutes. If you start to smell the pecans take them out immediately before they burn.
- After the vegetable are finished and the pecans are toasted, grab a hug bowl. Throw in the vegetables, pecans, cornbread, breadcrumbs, thyme, sage and parsley. Pour the broth over the mixture, and stir until combine. You don’t want it to wet, but if the mixture seems to dry add another 1/2 cup of broth.
- Transfer everything from the huge bowl to the greased 9×13 casserole dish. Cook for 30-45 minutes. The top should be browned and crispy on top.