How do you make white pizza at home? The hardest part about making pizza at home is making the crust. Don’t worry! I’ve been testing this crust recipe for years now, and I’ve got it down pat. It does take over an hour to make since the dough needs to rise, so plan ahead! You can even make the dough the night before and keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
There are several ways to make a white pizza, but I am lazy so I’ll let you in on a secret: I use ricotta cheese as the white sauce. That way I cut out the several steps it takes to make a cream sauce.
I choose to keep my pizza simple and used shredded mozzarella, spinach, and Italian seasonings. If you want to add more toppings mushrooms, roasted garlic, and artichokes would be delicious.Print
Homemade White Pizza
The dough makes enough for two pizzas.
- 1 1 /2 cups warm water
- 1 Tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 -4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Toppings (Enough for two pizzas)
- 1 (15oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12oz) bag frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasonings
For the dough,
- Pour the warm water, yeast, and sugar into a large bowl (or a standing mixing bowl if you have one) and let the yeast activate for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of the flour, olive oil and salt and mix until it’s combined. If the dough is too sticky to handle add a little bit of flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface or in a mixing bowl for 7 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into a clean bowl (or leave it in the mixing bowl), and let it rise for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
- Punch the dough down, cut it in half, roll each half out into 12 inch circles
For the pizzas,
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Spread half the ricotta on each prepared pizza dough like you would pizza sauce.
- Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the tops of both pizzas.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella, spinach, feta, and Italian seasonings over both pizzas.
- Bake each pizza (one at a time) for 10 minutes on the bottom rack (to cook the bottom) then another 2-3 minutes on the top rack if the top needs browned.
Don’t want to make two white pizzas? Use one of the dough to make this Cheesy Calzone appetizer!