Want to know how to make a cheese calzone at home? It’s simple! All you have to do is:
- Roll out some pizza dough
- Place whatever toppings you like on half of the dough
- Fold the other half of the dough over the toppings
- Crimp the edges of the dough together
- Cut a little air pocket on the top of the dough
- Bake at 500 degrees for 10 minutes!
This cheese calzone would make a perfect appetizer for a crowd. We like to slice them into strips and serve them with a side of marinara. I used mozzarella, cheddar, ricotta, and feta cheese and the combination is amazing! If you haven’t tried feta cheese on pizza (or in calzones) you are truly missing out!
Feel free to get creative with the fillings!Print
Homemade Cheese Calzone
- Prep Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 40 min
- Yield: 4 large Calzones 1x
Pizza Dough (makes 4 large calzones)
- 1 1 /2 cups warm water
- 1 Tablespoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8–10 Tablespoons ricotta cheese (2–3 Tablespoons per calzone)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (1/4 cup per calzone)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup per calzone)
- 8 Tablespoons feta cheese (2 Tablespoons per calzone)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1/4 teaspoon per calzone)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings (1/4 teaspoon per calzone)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (1/4 teaspoon per calzone)
Make the pizza dough:
- Pour the warm water, yeast, and sugar into a large bowl (or a standing mixing bowl if you have one) and let the yeast activate for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 cups of the flour, olive oil and salt and mix until it’s combined. If the dough is too sticky to handle add a little bit of flour.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface or in a mixing bowl for 7 minutes.
- Place the kneaded dough into a clean bowl (or leave it in the mixing bowl), and let it rise for 1 – 1 1/2 hours.
For the Calzones:
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
- Divide the pizza dough into four equal balls.
- Roll out each ball into an approximate 8″ circle.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on half of each dough.
- Top the ricotta with the remaining cheeses and seasonings, then fold the dough over, and crimp the edges shut
- Cut a little hole in the top of each calzone to let the steam out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the tops are golden brown.