Hearty Vegan Chili
Hearty Vegan Chili is a great vegan recipe that will keep you warm during these cold months. This vegan dinner recipe is packed with protein and vegetables!
- Author: The Hungry Waitress
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced (wash your hands after!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 12 oz beer
- 4 cups (1 carton) vegetable broth
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup quinoa (or rice)
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot (dutch oven if you have one) over medium high.
- Toss in the onion, bell pepper, garlic, zucchini, and jalapenos into the hot pot of oil.
- Brown the vegetables in the hot oil for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and tomato paste to the pot, and stir everything around for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in a 12 ounce can of beer, and using your spoon scrape up all the brown bits that have formed on the bottom of the pot. Reduce the beer down for 7 minutes.
- Dump the vegetable broth in next, then the beans and quinoa. Bring the chili to a boil then give everything a good stir, and turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Cook the chili for about 45 minutes, stirring every once in a while to make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
This chili gets pretty thick as it sits. Feel free to add more broth if you want to thin it out!