Get Creative with Cheesy Grits
I love cheesy grits. My all time favorite hangover/comfort food is cheesy grits with a poached egg. It’s like a hug in a bowl. It’s great when you’re sick too.
Yum. Look at that egg! It’s like butter. I will have to show you guys how to do a poached egg. It’s not hard with practice.
Oh wow. You can even add roasted vegetables to it. See my post on how to roast vegetables.
Or just throw some chili in there. Why not? Lets get crazy! Get my Chili recipe.
Delicious. Now I use quick cooking grits (I know it’s cheating, but they are so fast!). Then I add about a cup of cheddar cheese to the grits once they are done.
Cheesy Grit Bowls
These cheesy grits are the perfect hangover cure (or if you are actually sick).
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dinner
- 1 cup Quick Grits
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cheese
- 2 eggs, poached, fried or soft boiled
- sprinkle of cayenne pepper, optional
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a medium sauce pan that has a lid. Slowly stir in the grits.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and cover. Cook 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and stir until melted. Garnish with poached, fried, or a soft boiled egg and a dash of cayenne pepper.
I like cheddar cheese, but you can use any cheese.