I love soup. This black eyed pea and wild rice soup is super fast to make, and it’s healthy and vegan. Usually I get home from work super late (like midnight). I am STARVING, and I want something fast and healthy to eat.
On this particular night, I raided my pantry and freezer and threw this soup together in 30 minutes! I made giant croutons for it too. You just tossed some bread in olive oil, and brown it in a pan.
I think I have had a can of black eyed peas in my pantry for like two years. I bought them for a New Years recipe (that I never made), and I just forgot about them. But now they are making their debut!
I started with some wild rice I found in the back of my pantry (again who knows how long I’ve had it, but that’s the great thing about pantry items!). I toasted the rice in a pot with some olive oil.
It’s happy rice! Then add some tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Stir for a minute or so. Then dump in about 3 cups of broth, a bag of frozen vegetables, and black eyed peas. Bring the soup to a boil, and then reduce it to a simmer and cover for 20-30 minutes! Then scarf it down and pass out (like me).
Black Eyed Pea and Wild Rice Soup
This soup take is a fast and easy recipe, and it’s vegan!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups broth*
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pot with a lid
- Heat up the olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Then add the rice, and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Toss in the tomato paste, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed into the rice.
- Add the broth, vegetables, and black eyed peas to the pot, and turn the heat up to bring the soup to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover the pot with a lid. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
*for a vegan recipe use vegetable broth, otherwise chicken or beef broth works well too