Black Eyed Pea Salsa with Crispy Polenta
Black Eyed Pea Salsa with Crispy Polenta is a great vegan appetizer for any special occasion. I love it for New Year’s Eve appetizer since black eyed peas are good luck. The crispy polenta adds some elegance to this salsa.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup jalapeños, finely diced
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 can black eyed pes, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tube polenta, cut into 1/4″ slices
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Chop all of the vegetables (onion, cilantro, bell pepper, jalapeños, and tomatoes), and toss them in a large mixing bowl. Dump in the corn kernels, grated garlic, and black eyed peas. Mix together. Add the seasoning (salt, pepper, and lime) and the diced avocado. Mix everything together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 Tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Carefully lay the polenta slices in an even layer into the hot skillet. THE POLENTA WILL POP AND SPLATTER. BE CAREFUL! Brown the polenta on one side for about 7-10 minutes. Flip and brown the other side for about 7-10 more minutes.
- Once the polenta is done place the rounds on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- Top each polenta round with the black eyed pea salsa!