30 Minute Skillet Mac and Cheese is what I am having for dinner. I think I found the best cheese combination: Cheddar, Monterrey, and Velveeta. Seriously. The Best.
I have made $30 recipe (which included a lot of fancy cheese) and I have made boxed macaroni in times of need. This version combines the two. It is easy on the wallet like the boxed macaroni, but it is full of flavor like the $30 homemade fancy macaroni. Mmmmm. Cheese.
The biggest time saver is the sauce. I don’t feel like making a roux, and stirring for 20 minutes. I am tired and my feet hurt. This sauce is sooo cheesy it thickens on its own (the heavy cream might help too).Print
30 Minute Skillet Mac and Cheese
30 Minute Skillet Mac and Cheese is a fast side dish recipe or dinner recipe. This cheesy macaroni comes together in a flash, and it tastes better than the box. I love it! It’s one of my favorite comfort food recipes.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 lb (1 box) pasta, medium shells
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 block (2 cups) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 block (2 cups) Monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Velveeta
- 1 large pot
- 1 large skillet
- Start boiling some water in a large pot for the pasta. In a large skillet melt 1 Tablespoon of butter with the garlic powder, dry mustard, white pepper, and salt. Stir the spices into the butter for 1 minute, then add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream. Bring the cream mixture to a simmer and thicken for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and add all of the cheddar, Monterey, and Velveeta cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted.
- Once the pasta water has come to a boil prepare the noodle according to the package. Dump the cooked noodles into the cheese sauce and enjoy!
- Minute Skillet Mac and Cheese is a fast side dish recipe or dinner recipe. This cheesy macaroni comes together in a flash, and it tastes better than the box. I love it! It’s one of my favorite comfort food recipes.